What is it?
Invisalign aligners consist of a series of clear plastic, removable appliances that move your teeth in small increments to improve the appearance of the smile. Invisalign products combine your doctor’s diagnosis and prescription with sophisticated computer graphics technology to develop a treatment plan which specifies the desired movements of your teeth during the course of your treatment. Upon approval of a treatment plan developed by your doctor, a series of customized Invisalign aligners is produced specifically for your treatment.
How does it work?
You may undergo a routine orthodontic pre-treatment examination including radiographs (x-rays) and photographs. Your doctor will take impressions of your teeth and send them along with a prescription to the Align laboratory. Align technicians will follow your doctor’s prescription to create a ClinCheck software model of your prescribed treatment. Upon approval of the ClinCheck treatment plan by your doctor, Align will produce and ship a series of customized aligners to your doctor.
The total number of aligners will vary depending on the complexity of your malocclusion and the doctor’s treatment plan. The aligners will be individually numbered and will be dispensed to you by your doctor with specific instructions for use. Unless otherwise instructed by your doctor, you should wear your aligners for approximately 20 to 22 hours per day, removing them only to eat, brush and floss. As directed by your doctor, you will switch to the next aligner in the series every two to three weeks. Treatment duration varies depending on the complexity of your doctor’s prescription. Unless instructed otherwise, you should follow up with your doctor at a minimum of every 6 to 8weeks.
Some patients may require bonded aesthetic attachments and/ or the use of elastics during treatment to facilitate specific orthodontic movements. Patients may require additional impressions and/or refinement aligners after the initial series of aligners.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
- Invisalign aligners offer an esthetic alternative to conventional braces.
- Aligners are nearly invisible so many people won’t realize you are in treatment.
- Treatment plans can be visualized through the ClinCheck software.
- Aligners allow for normal brushing and flossing tasks that are generally impaired by conventional braces.
- Aligners do not have the metal wires or brackets associated with conventional braces.
- The wearing of aligners may improve oral hygiene habits during treatment.
- Invisalign patients may notice improved periodontal (gum) health during treatment.