Certain allergies come and go, while others may be permanent. In either case, an allergic reaction can be alarming and even deadly if the allergy is severe enough. McLean & Potomac Dermatology offers several allergic reaction treatments to help you overcome your symptoms and live comfortably. Schedule a consultation at one of our offices to receive an evaluation of your allergies and medication to help you control them.
When Are Treatments for Allergies Needed?
Allergic reaction treatments are necessary when an allergy causes anaphylaxis or mouth, throat, or tongue swelling. These situations can be life-threatening and should be addressed immediately. Treatments may also be considered if exposure to certain environmental triggers causes discomfort, such as frequent sneezing, itching, and/or irritation. In any case, if your allergies are causing you discomfort, getting treated is the best option.
What Do Allergic Reaction Treatments Involve?
Treatments for allergic reactions vary depending on the severity of your symptoms. Some of the most common medications prescribed for allergies include:
- Antihistamines: These medications can help relieve itching, sneezing, and runny nose caused by allergic reactions.
- Epinephrine: This medication is used for severe allergic reactions, such as anaphylaxis. It is administered through an auto-injector (such as an EpiPen) and can help quickly reduce symptoms such as swelling, hives, and difficulty breathing.
- Corticosteroids: These medications can help reduce inflammation and swelling caused by allergic reactions. They are often used in conjunction with other treatments.
- Decongestants: These medications can help relieve nasal congestion caused by allergies.
- Immunotherapy: This treatment involves exposing the patient to small amounts of the allergen over time, which can help desensitize the immune system and reduce the severity of allergic reactions.
Results of Allergic Reaction Treatments
There is currently no cure for allergies. However, with proper medication and by avoiding triggers, you can live a comfortable life without worrying about severe allergic reactions. The first step involves identifying your triggers and receiving the proper medical care. Both can be achieved here at McLean & Potomac Dermatology.
Schedule Allergic Reaction Treatments in McLean, VA or Potomac, MD
If you’re having an allergic reaction, you must contact emergency services immediately. If you need help identifying your triggers and getting medication to ease allergy symptoms, we can help. Schedule a consultation at one of our offices today to explore your options.
Set up your consultation by calling us at (703) 356-5111.